Wednesday 18 March 2009

Snake's Alive!

So I'm still behind, but what's new? Let's roll...

With another new week came another new brief, this time entitled 'How to...' Luckily for me the brief was a two week task, although I have to say it was probably one of the most obscure briefs that I have ever received in my life; let alone this degree. The first port of call was to pick a number from random that ranged between 01 and 1001. For no particular reason I selected number 677; which quite humorously correlated to the task of 'How to care for your snake' in the Collins book of 'How to do just about everything.'

My initial concept development led to obvious interpretations of how to look after a snake as a pet; a notion that the book itself advised me upon. As per usual however, I liked to make the task a little more enjoyable and subsequently progressed onto topics such as advertising for hair-care products (using Medusa as a mythological reference point) and caring for a snake with intention to consume it. The latter perhaps not in the snake's best interests, but after all a brief is what you make it!

From a particularly interesting crit, it soon emerged with feedback that the idea of consuming snake as a meat dish was by far the stronger approach; and so the development continued. The most peculiar product that I came across was without doubt snake wine; an alcoholic beverage that combined your average wine with a fermented cobra in order to let the venom pass through. Thank you for that Vietnam... I think I'll pass.

In struggling to finalize my focus down to a specific audience, I had a somewhat welcomed epiphany thanks to Glass-eye Gasi and his fond love for food. This resulted in producing a couple of final resolutions, the first being an instructional poster for chefs to prepare the snake for eating. The second being a complimentary recipe card for restaurant goers who would perhaps like to try preparing a meal in the comforts of their own home.

Here's what I came up with...



The theory behind this design lies in the way that the business card sized image would slot over the main A6 recipe card like a paper clip. In doing so the receipt would be secured and given to the customer in one neat little package.


This would obviously be laminated and situated within the workplace; in this instance the kitchen. I aimed for a very direct and informative approach that delivered clarity through both type and image. Photographs of the design in the real world will follow shortly as soon as I get back home and have a word with my old boss; I'm sure he wont mind.

Nice Nice

x

No comments:

Post a Comment